Wednesday, April 28, 2004

"Sample Clearance"
By Gartrelle W. Sexton, Esq.


You brothers need to get your samples cleared before you start using what somebody else did before. You are probably asking yourself "What in the world is Gartrelle talking about"? Well I'm talking about the "Button-Up" craze/phenomenon that has invaded the closets of young brothers everywhere.

"I don't wear jerseys, I'm thirty plus/Get a crisp pair of jeans nigga button up." And with that line, Shawn Corey Carter once again dictated YOUR wardrobe.

Ya know, I'm glad that brother's have somewhat slowed down with the wearing of the "throwbacks" because at least it doesn't look like an NBA All-Star game is about to break-out on every corner. But now everybody looks like that BIG colorful lollipop you get at Kings Dominion.

You can't go out nowadays without seeing brothers in a butto...(Wait a minute, I refuse to call a basic SHIRT, a button-up anymore. It's just a shirt. AND like my colleague Reggie Dinkins, Jr. has said, it really is a button-DOWN. I start from the top and work my way down when I put on my 16 1/2 [that's the measurement of your neck-size for all of you who don't know how to buy a shirt that FITS. XXL, XXXL are not sizes for real shirts.] But I digress)

I was recently out and about and out of say 30 dudes, about 21 had on striped SHIRTS. What happened to originality? Dudes can't think for themselves anymore? I mean I saw two guys together both wearing similar shirts. What's worse is that one actually had on a blue Yankee fitted cap. I said to myself, "What a tool." Niggas will wear whatever ever you tell them to wear if you tell them the right way. Niggas would start wearing trash bags if a rapper could make it rhyme. He could say something like: "I'm dressed so fresh all you niggas is mad/Button ups is for fags/I rock a Glad trash bag." Next thing you know niggas would stop wearing "button ups" and would be buying designer trash bags at Shopper's Food Warehouse.

And the cufflinks. Niggas that don't even own suits are wearing cufflinks now. A shirt, some jeans, some tennis shoes, and cufflinks. Stop it! Cufflinks are to be worn with a French cuffed shirt, a suit, and some HARD bottom shoes. Now I've always been one to go against the grain and ignore the brainwashing of the "the white man," so wearing clothes in an unconventional manner is cool with me. But think about it gentlemen, when this "style" fades away, you will look back and realize how foolish you looked wearing cufflinks without a suit and tie.

What also upsets me is that I will not wear my shirts with jeans as often now because I don't want to look like every one else. I have worn shirts for years, colorful striped ones, plain basic ones, etc. (I never wore cufflinks though unless I had on a suit.) Since I'm not a follower, and I don't like to dress exactly like everyone else, I'm putting my shirts on the backburner for a while. But I still do me, without looking like everybody else, because even though I took the time to write this, I really don't care what any of y'all wear. I'm just trying to enlighten some of you. So fellas, stop sampling and start creating your own style, then maybe, just maybe, you can be as cool as me.

"You could not be like me even if you was my twin"--Andre Benjamin (Andre 3000)


This PSA was not brought to you by C.L.O.N.E.S. (Creating Leisure Outfits Now Everyone's the Same)


"True Courage"
by Salvador Gabor


A few days ago a man named Pat Tillman died. Yes, people die everyday. At first sight, this seems like a regular death but, it's not. Pat Tillman was a football player for the Arizona Cardinals. Even though he wasn't extremely known, his presence will be missed. Now Tillman didn't die on a football field, he died in the act of war. He died while serving in Afghanistan. Tillman gave up his football career for a career in the military. He wanted to join his brother in active duty for the United States. Tillman was far from some bum who didn't have a shot at playing time. Pat Tillman turned down $3,600,000 from the Cardinals to go to serve his country. How many of us would do that?

I feel for the Tillman family. Most people would say "Awww they gonna be aight. They have money". But, it's obvious that money isn't the determining factor to the Tillman's. This is a man who gave up his possessions and fame for what he believed in. Now many of us are skeptical over the war but, that's beside the point. He chose a path and was not lead by his own wants. He felt that he had a mission to carry out. People lose focus and scan in on the fact that he died but, he is leaving a legacy. He makes the soldiers in Iraq know that no matter if the war is right or wrong, they have a reason to be proud. They chose this life and no matter what decisions come down from the Government, they are ready to follow suit.

Normally, I don't get THIS serious but, what are you willing to die for? Tillman took the saying "Stand for nothing and you'll fall for anything" to another level. he gave up $3.6 Million for the sake of serving the U.S.. Now, I dont care what any of you all say. If I had to give up a few "meeyons" to serve yall............cancel that.....quickly! I send out my condolences to the Tillman family and the other fallen soldiers and their respective families. We have men dying over debts, drugs, and "respect" in this country. These guys who die over insignificant things are dying for NO reason and a soldier gives up his life for another man to able to sleep with no fear. It's something to think about. But, what are you willing to die for?


"Word of the Day"
by Reggie Dinkins, Jr.

quixotic \kwik-SOT-ik\, adjective 1. Caught up in the romance of noble deeds andthe pursuit of unreachable goals; foolishly impractical especially in the pursuit of ideals.2. Capricious; impulsive; unpredictable.


"That Janet Jackson had that sun thing on ha' tit.......hmmmmm shoot.......that was way too quixotic for the Super Bowl."